Family Services Offers Free Income Tax Prep to Low-Income Individuals and Families
Thanks to Karen Konnick of Family Services of Montgomery County for passing this along.
Family Services, the Montgomery County Asset Building Coalition and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) are offering free income tax preparation to low-to-moderate income individuals and families (who earn less than $51,000) through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
The IRS trains and certifies all VITA volunteers to prepare and electronically file income tax forms. VITA volunteers are trained to assist clients in claiming special credits and refunds, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit. The mission of the program is to help working families improve their finances and increase their self-sufficiency.
“We can help put money back in your pocket,” said Kathy Cael, VITA site coordinator. “By filing your taxes through a VITA site, not only will you save money in filing fees, but you’ll also receive your tax refund quickly. In most cases, tax refunds are deposited directly into your bank account within 7-to-10 days.”
Family Services is offering VITA appointments at two locations in Montgomery County:
- Family Services’ Pottstown Office, 1976 East High Street, Pottstown. Appointment times: Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 5-7:15 p.m. and Saturdays, 9 a.m.-Noon.
- Family Services’ Eagleville Office, 3125 Ridge Pike, Eagleville. Appointment times: Thursdays, 5-7 p.m.
Appointments are required for all VITA sites. To schedule an appointment at the sites listed above, please call Family Services at 610-326-1610.
Individuals must bring the following documents to their VITA appointment:
- Photo identification (driver’s license or state-issued identification card) for self and spouse
- Social security cards for self, spouse and dependents
- Birth dates for self, spouse and dependents
- Wage and earning statement(s) (Form W-2, 1099, unemployment statements) from all employers for self and spouse
- Interest and dividend statements from banks for self and spouse
- Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit
- Other relevant information about income and expenses
- Total paid for daycare, daycare provider’s address and tax identification number
- Form 8332 or a copy of a divorce decree if you are a non-custodial parent claiming a child
- A copy of last year’s federal and state tax returns (if available)
- If filing jointly, both the filer and spouse must be present to sign the tax return.
For a complete list of VITA tax preparation sites in Montgomery County, please visit www.mcassetbuilding.org.
Would you prefer to file your taxes in the comfort of your own home? Now you can – for free! Individuals or families with a combined income under $57,000 may prepare and file their own federal and state taxes online at www.myfreetaxes.com/fsmontco.org. This website is powered by H&R Block and sponsored by Walmart and the United Way.
Since 1900, Family Services has been caring for children, seniors and families in Montgomery County who face everyday emotional difficulties or physical hardships. The agency’s innovative social service programs make a positive difference in the lives of 16,000 county residents each year. For more information, contact Family Services’ Pottstown Office at 610-326-1610 or visit www.fsmontco.org.