Did you know that shopping at small, local businesses keeps more of your money circulating in the local economy and helps keep those businesses in business? Every purchase means something to those entrepreneurs. Plus, it’s nice just getting to know the folks who have invested in your town for many years or have taken a chance starting a new business more recently. The holidays are a perfect time to show that you care about sustaining the economic health of your own community by BUYING LOCAL. Below are a few ways you can “Buy Local,” have some fun, and feel part of a growing community of intentional shoppers.
1) This Saturday is National Small Business Day, and there will be a Cash Mob unfolding in downtown Pottstown. Here’s how you can take part…
VISIT the Pottstown Visitor Center located at 17 N. Hanover Street, before you begin your downtown shopping, any time from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
PICK UP your “Shop Local” cash mob sticker, a map of the Downtown Pottstown Shopping District and detailed instructions on how to play the “Where In The World is Captain Buy Local and Small Biz” game while you shop throughout downtown Pottstown. (Yes, there is actually a superhero called Caption Buy Local and his sidekick Small Biz. Hey, this is Pottstown, and we have superheroes.)
PICK UP special offers and holiday treats that will be offered to Cash Mob participants throughout the day by various merchants.
RETURN your game entry with the approximate amount of money spent by you and your family during the Cash Mob to either the Visitor Center office, or Grumpy’s Hand-Carved Sandwiches, 137 E. High Street, when you are finished with your Cash Mob shopping. The BUY LOCAL organizers want to tally how much is spent in the downtown this Saturday. Remember, the School District spent $55,000 this past spring with their BUY LOCAL challenge; these efforts literally pay off for our merchants!
2) The Pottstown Downtown Improvement District Authority is running a holiday 5 for $25 Raffle. This is another way to Buy Local, only you can win some big bucks for yourself. Here’s how this works:
BUY a $25 Raffle Ticket at the Visitors’ Center at 17 N. Hanover Street or at Cole’s Tobacc0 or call Sheila at 610-323-5400 c/ 484-948-6061
SPEND $25 at each of 4 different, participating downtown merchants who are listed on the ticket.
SAVE your receipts.
BRING YOUR RECEIPTS AND TICKET to the Visitors’ Center, Cole’s or Grumpy’s or a participating merchant when you are done shopping. You have until December 22nd at 5 pm to do your shopping and turn in your ticket & receipts!
- All money collected from this raffle will be used to support the Hometown Holiday Events 2012.
- ONLY 300 Raffles will be sold. Last sale date is December 22 at 12pm.
- 1st prize is $2,000; 2nd prize is $1,000; 3rd prizes will include merchandise & gift cards.
- The drawing for prizes will be held at The New Visitors’ Center at 17 N Hanover St. at 7pm, December 22, 2012. You do not have to be present to win.